Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Pain is Controllable

Pain is controllable. You just need to not internalize it, but place it outside of your body. Using this philosophy you can detach the feeling of the pain from your conscious mind by putting your self in a hypnotic state of non-awareness. As a retired hypnotherapist, I have put myself in a hypnotic state via a tape recorder to counteract operative and post-operative pain.
Using a post-hypnotic suggestion I gave myself a physical trigger to activate my body not to acknowledge pain internally. In that suggestion I included to control any blood loss to a minimum and to heal my body as soon as it can safely do so. Using the hypnotic trigger (tapping by breast bone lightly eight times) I have gone through dental surgery and long operations with a minimum of blood loss and healed in half the normal time for post-op recovery. The physical therapy to regain muscle dexterity in supervised therapy was also pain-free. The doctors attributed my rapid recovery was due to the fact that a pain free operation did not enable the body to be traumatized and that body could focus on healing itself without distraction. (Or have a hypnotherapist implant that intention-suggestion for you with a post-hypnotic trigger for future activation of the pain detachment.)
To extend the pain out of the body, visualize it as a thing, an object you can discard like a small piles of stones, a bunch of feathers, or objects that will dissipate, as a flock of crows or a fog bank that you walk through leaving the pain behind, wade in a shallow creek whose water flow will carry pain away.
A visualized mental waterfall or home shower can wash the pain away too. This visualizing technique can easily be mastered and is very convenient to be able to activate it at any time to control the degree of pain you personally can tolerate on a scale of one to ten, with one as the low end. I prefer to keep any pain resulting from post-operations recovery at ½ or one during operations or dental work.
I had a double knee replacement installing two artificial knees, after spending two years on crutches, eliminating bone on bone pain. I recorded a program to prepare myself and facilitate the elimination of pain, minimized my blood loss, and had my body cooperate with the surgeon during the operation. After the operation I would control the pain associated with healing and my body would heal as soon as safely possible. Morphine was available for pain control but I had no need of it.
The physical therapist was very skeptical of my pain control claims, assuming that I was masking the pain, not eliminating it. I asked her if she knew of any indication that would show her the degree of pain I was feeling during my rehabilitation exercises. She said yes, the eyes will always show if any pain is present. All right then, I said, give me a moment to be pain-free. I proceeded to move all pain outside my body as a pile of rocks, leaving me pain-free while doing the exercises. Let's do some exercises and you monitor my eyes for any pain indication. We did several exercises and she had to admit that my eyes showed no sign of any pain being present. We continued to exercise pain-free. Down the hall other men who had one knee replaced were screaming in reaction to the pain induced by exercise. The next exercise session I had an audience of nurses and physical therapists watching me as I exercised. I was pain-free only while exercising. At other times I kept my pain level at “one” which was easily tolerated. Five days later I was walking with a walker and two weeks later I drove myself home. In a month I could walk without a walker or crutches.

No comments: